Thursday, November 16, 2006

little dog Book Awards

One of my favorite authors (to be more precise: the author of one of my favorite novels) won the National Book Award this week. In honor of that (and because, uh, otherwise you would be getting nothing today), here's a quick list of books that I have read and read over again. It's been years since I have added a book to this list. I'm including books and series that I read over and over when I was a kid because they provided the kind of escape I needed then. Not that I had a horrible childhood--quite the opposite, in fact--but these books offered me characters who felt more like me than anyone around me did and who helped me become a more grounded person.

The Gold Bug Variations Richard Powers
A librairian, a once-scientist, a piece of music. Intelligent, a tad over-written, deeply moving.

The Double Helix James Watson
Scientific discovery is exciting. And fun.

Einstein's Dreams Alan Lightman
Anyone detect a theme here?

Some of the short stories from The Night in Question Tobias Wolff and Birds of America Lorrie Moore.
Because I find myself in awe.

Harriet the Spy Louise Fitzhugh
I've talked about this before.

Anne of Green Gables (series) and Emily of New Moon (series) L. M.Montgomery
The Prince Edward Island of these books would be the perfect place to sit and write a book.

No comments: